Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Alchemyst

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott, introduces you to Nicholas Flamel, who discovered the secret to immortality. Born 700 years ago, he is still alive, and is continuously protecting an ancient book, which if in the wrong hands can be used to destroy mankind. But now it's been stolen, and two twins find themselves part of an ancient prophecy, as they struggle to cope with this strange magical world they've stumbled into.

This book just wasn't for me. It was slow, a bit boring, and not exciting enough. What I did like was how well the magical world was described. The author mixes many of our legends, myths, and history into this world. I thought of it as unique, with an interesting plot to begin with. Yet my main problem was with the characters.

Sophie and Josh, the twins, are way too perfect; they're always there for each other, they worry about each other, and so on. Although this may be the ideal relationship, it wasn't very interesting to read about. I felt like there should be more of a conflict both in the plot and with the characters. It just annoyed me for some reason. Overall, it was an okay book. However, there are way more better books out there than this one.

My Rating: 4 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment