Sunday, October 26, 2014

Top 5 Science Fiction Books

I don't usually read a lot of science-fiction books mainly because of all the world-building that is required to write it. Authors spend a lot of time describing the world before getting into the actual story, and I often don't have the patience to wade through all of that information. (I'm also not a huge fan of fantasy which involves kingdoms and elves and other mystical beings.) Out of the several science-fiction books I've read, here are my top five.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is set in the future when Earth has been attacked by aliens called the Buggers. In order to combat another oncoming war, the government recruits gifted young children to Battle School where they train to become soldiers. It's one that I've reread over and over again and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. One reason is because the book really makes you think because of all the issues the author explores. Every time I reread the book I discover something new that I hadn't noticed or understood before.

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card is basically the same story as Ender's Game, but it is told from a different character's point of view. Even though the two books cover the same time period and the same events, you get to see it from two different people with different backgrounds and thought process. Orson Scott Card has written many more books about Ender and Bean about when they're older, but I've only read these two. I would definitely recommend checking either one out to see if you'd like it, though I know science-fiction isn't for everyone.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is set in the future, everyone spends their days in the OASIS, a virtual reality, where the creator had hidden treasure somewhere very secret. Several years after the creator died, Wade Watts stumbles upon the first puzzle. This also had a lot of world-building and information, but I found the description of the virtual reality really interesting. Even though it's set in the future, the world has an obsession with the 1980s, so I thought it was an interesting way to make the context more familiar for the readers. I really enjoyed this book, but it's not one I can reread over and over again.

Unwind by Neal Shusterman is set after the Second Civil War, where the conclusion was this; parents can have their child "unwound" when he/she is between the ages of 13-18. In other words, all of the child's organs will be transplanted into different donors, which means they are technically still living, albeit not in one piece. Three unwanted children, Connor, Risa, and Lev, are on the run to escape this dreaded fate. I really enjoyed this sci-fi because of the concept of "unwounding" which I thought was very unique. It's the first of a series, but I think the first book can stand alone because it had a good conclusion. I didn't find the sequels worth reading.

Gone by Michael Grant is the first of a 6-book series and is about what happens when an impenetrable dome appears over an area in California and everyone over the age of 15 disappears. Electronics cease to work, and what happens after is chaos as the teens and kids attempt to establish order, whilst others are gaining supernatural powers. I really enjoyed this series, but I'm not sure it's for everyone because it is quite lengthy (6 books) and there's a lot of characters to follow. The entire series is chaotic but I think that's mainly why I enjoyed it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment